Swing has been on my mind lately and I've been wondering about Lindy Hop. I took a few lessons during my freshman year of college, but I didn't stay with it. After doing ballroom, I thought it looked messy: arms and legs flailing, bodies flying around uncontrolled...who called this dancing again? Yet, after wading through youtube, I found an adorable video in which Lindy actually looked very clean cut and appealing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsYYHvaMIGA.
The lady is the only one I've ever seen in lindy who attempts to make her hands and feet look pretty. Anyway, I discovered a lindy hop lesson and dance that took place Friday night and I decided to take a shorter/closer yoga class so I could go to it.
The Venue
The Dance Loft is located in the warehouse district of Tucson, about seven blocks south of the hostel, and sure enough it was in a warehouse. The space was no Fred Astaire ballroom; there was nothing over-the-top showy about it. In fact, it almost felt like the owners intended to hide the Dance Loft...like only the serious and savvy knew where to find it. Inside, though, the space looked like a studio you'd find in Brooklyn, New York. It was small with the essentials (floor, mirrors, ballet barre), a couch and folding chairs in the corner, and artwork on the walls.
Lesson
During the lesson, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. You were supposed to drag/shuffle your feet and lurch around. It will get better, I told myself, it will get better. And it did. By the end of the hour, we were doing swing outs and getting into more advanced (advanced beginner) technique. I was ready to start dancing and try some styling I had seen.
Lindy Hopping!
I thought I would get sick of listening to swing music all night, but it wasn't so. There were so many good dancers on the floor, I had the best time dancing and watching. I don't remember the last time I laughed so much and had so much fun in Tucson. I admit that by the end of the night, I had forgotten a lot of what I've learned and reverted to a mixture of jive and other social dances...but that's ok! I'm excited to go back next week to learn more and improve.
Most importantly, though, I really liked the people. Most of them were my age and just...cool. I looked at them and thought, I think I've found "my people." To have dance friends again.... :-D!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment